Monday, May 28, 2012

RUN THE GUTS!

WOW!!!  so three days into paddling in Austria and i am absolutely blown away.  Not only is the scenery incredible but the rivers are some of the best rivers I've ever paddled.  Everything we've done is all well above the high water mark in any of the guide books.  The first day we arrived in Prutz and immediately set up camp after driving 21 hours from the UK and then did two runs on the biggest class three river I've ever seen! The Tosens section of the river Inn is big bouncy waves and a few very large holes.  The entire time I've been paddling here i feel like this stuff should be in a video... (foreshadowing maybe???)  Anyway since then i lead the group down that same river the second time down it... I was scared shitless. We have since moved onto much harder, faster, steeper, and bigger water.  None of which is below grade 4 high volume water.  Day 2 an i did 4 runs on the Sanna river and the Landeck Gorge.  These were both incredible rivers with overlapping, massive holes.  Today we did the lower Otz. which was slightly lower volume but much more technical.  This has been my favorite river thus far with lots of rock and hole dodging.  This then empties out onto the Inn river which at this section is just huge wide waves.  I went into one massive undulating wave today and it collapsed right on top of me, submarining my boat and then spitting me out the other side.  All in all i am having an absolute blast.  I have been pushed mentally, physically, and in my skills every single day so far.  I have been airborn, submarined, and beaten the pulp out of in a massive hole, and I couldn't be having a better time.  Look for photos and video soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment